Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My Husband's Favorite Meal: Philly Cheese Steak

The cheese steak starts with the bun, I hit up the bakery/deli part of my grocery store and find a hardy bun. I try to get hot dog/sub type buns, but I've used hamburger style in a pinch.



2 Bell peppers (red is best but get whatever's in season)
1 Sweet onion
6 buns
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I use Daiya)
Mustard
Mayonaise
1TB Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

  • Butterfly the buns (or cut in half if you get hamburger style) 
  • Spread mayo on one side and mustard on the other.
  • Thinly slice your bulk meat so it's roughly 3in long and 1in wide.
  • Cut peppers and onion into thick strips
  • Heat a pan with oil on med-high then add meat, peppers, and onion. Cook until seitan starts to brown and veggies just start to soften.
  • Add the salt and pepper last so the salt wont draw out the water from the veg and the pepper wont burn.
  • Add the meat and veggie mix to your buns, top with cheese, then place on foil under the broiler just until the cheese melts and starts to brown
*ALWAYS keep an eye on the broiler, your bread will blacken in a matter of seconds if you're not careful. The broiler needs to warm up, just like when you normally use the stove, don't be like me and start with a cold stove then base my cooking times off that 1st sandwich ;)


Pair the sandwich with a side of hot wings and ranch and there you'll have, My Husband's Favorite Meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment