Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cornbread

I made this cornbread the other day, and the next morning when my kids said "I wish I could have cornbread every day so we can have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner" I knew I had to share it with you.
This is a sweet cornbread, perfect with salty, melted butter. The only ingredient you may not keep on hand is flax meal...

A Word on Flax: A lot of people swear by flax because of all the health benefits that I wont go into right now, but I like it for baking. Flax meal (or ground flax) can replace eggs 1TB flax meal & 3TB water, boiled until thick and egg like. It's the best thing, i've found, to replace an egg when baking, so I try to keep some on hand. The best way to keep it is to buy the whole seed and grind it as necessary and stored in the freezer. But I'm lazy and don't own a grinder so I buy the flax meal in the refrigerated health section at my grocery store. I've probably had mine longer than I should, but it smells fine and still works well.



Cornbread
2 TB Ground Flax
6 TB Water
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Cornmeal
1/4 Cup Sugar
4 te Baking Powder
3/4 te Salt
1 Cup Soy Milk
1/4 Cup Canola Oil


  • Preheat the oven to 425ยบ
  • Bring water to a boil
  • Add flax meal to the boiling water then reduce the heat to simmer for 3-5 min or until thick
  • Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt
  • Add in the soy milk, oil, and flax/water mixture
  • Mix until smooth, don't over work it.
  • Lightly oil an 8x8 glass, metal, or cast-iron pan
  • Bake for 20-25 min. Let cool for 10 min.
Tips: 
- I replace 1 tablespoon of flour with vital wheat gluten to cut down on the crumbling.
- After 20 min, I rub the cornbread with some butter and let it melt over the top, then cook it an additional 5 mins. to make the top a golden brown.
- A single batch turned out perfect, no crumbling, but when I doubled the batch in a 9x13 casserole dish, it was good, but fell apart easier than I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment